I want to know the difference between Mariadb and Mysql?

derrenvin

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know what the difference between MariaDB and Mysql is? Which one should I use to have fast queries for my website? I use WordPress.

Thanks in advance

The most significant difference is the InnoDB clustering feature which is free and in-built in MariaDB database servers. The feature is called Galera Clusters which uses certificate-based replication.

In MySQL, you need to install additional packages(RPM or Debian) for InnoDB clustering and its offered for enterprise versions only and not community versions.

MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, the database structure and indexes of MariaDB are the same as MySQL. This allows you to switch from MySQL to MariaDB without having to alter your applications

MariaDB and MySQL are both open-source relational database management systems (RDBMS) that are commonly used in web development and database management. Here are some key differences between the two:1. Compatibility: MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL, meaning it is fully compatible with MySQL and can be used interchangeably in most cases. This is because MariaDB was originally a fork of MySQL, with the goal of maintaining compatibility while adding new features and improvements.2. Licensing: MariaDB is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL), while MySQL is released under the GPL and the Oracle Binary Code License (BCL). This means that MariaDB is more open-source and free software than MySQL, which has some proprietary components under the BCL.3. Features: MariaDB has added several new features over the years, such as spatial data support, JSON data support, and improved performance for certain types of queries. MySQL, on the other hand, has focused more on stability and compatibility with older versions of the software.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.